Sunday, September 26, 2010

Welcome- Kristen McKee

Greetings all Not Forgotten followers...

In order to take advantage of all growth opportunities in the future for Not Forgotten, a new member has been added to the team. As that new member, I thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself! My name is Kristen McKee and I'll be joining Not Forgotten as the Director of Administration and Development, aka Tyler's relief worker. I have been on numerous trips to Puerto Alegria, and share Not Forgotten's heart for the street children of Iquitos, Peru. 

I went on my first international mission trip to Saltillo, Mexico when I was a sophomore in college. I met a little girl named Fanny and spent ever possible moment with her family. Never in my life had I experienced such urgency to share the gospel as I had with Fanny's family. I loved them and I ached for them to believe in His peace, His grace and more importantly, His sacrifice and resurrection. I was surrounded by nothing familiar in that tiny Mexican shack, but I knew I belonged in that house, and that this trip to Mexico had forever changed my passions and redefined my purpose.

Less than two years later I had another opportunity to serve overseas. While spending a summer abroad in Spain, the Lord brought two dear friends into my life: Allison and Tyler. We had toured all around Spain together: learning what it was to be Americans in a foreign country, talking about missions, and discovering our mutual love for Latin America. Tyler kept talking about his love for Peru specifically, and how much he wanted us to come on one of his mission trips to this orphanage in the jungle. Frankly, as much as I trusted Tyler, I thought that he'd lost his mind. I wasn't exactly jungle material. The Lord's plans were a little different than my own however. So, a year and a half later Allison and I were jungle bound with deet and chacos. :)


Prior to this trip I had never had any interest in leaving the United States permanently, and was intimidated by the unknown. After this trip to Peru though, and the 8 that shortly followed, I was truly changed. I learned what it meant to truly be a new creation in Christ, as I discovered a new confidence and talents that I never knew I possessed. Tucked away in the middle of the Amazon jungle are 42 children that have captured my heart. Each journey down there brings James 1:27 to life as the orphans I'm called to care for aren't just children, but friends. They are unique. They each have different personalities, interests, idiosyncrasies and dreams. I want so badly to give them the hope and love that Christ has given me. I want to radiate with Christ's love so much that those children hunger for it and seek after it themselves. 

It was these relationships that triggered my desire to serve overseas as a missionary for AIM for a year.  I wanted to testify to God's grace across all nations, not just in Peru, but now the Lord has called me back to the ministry and home that first captured my heart. I'm willing to do whatever I can to ensure those children are being served, loved, and nurtured in a way that equips them for the future as servants of our precious Savior. They will know they are loved. Lord, let us be the difference...


I'll be available for any questions regarding Not Forgotten's mission, involvement opportunities, and upcoming trips! Feel free to contact me at kristen@notforgotten.org. 

          


Blessings, Kristen McKee

No comments: